What do I call a “side project”? As I taught my students in Bremen – always define the used terms in the beginning of your paper to be sure that you and your readers think about the same things. The “side project” for me is everything what we do and what is not directly connected with our PhD project, for example:
- Your supervisor asked you to wrote some paper for his/ her conference
- A colleague from your department is a book editor and asked you to write a book chapter
- Your professor asked you to be a book chapter co-author
- Your colleague from studies asked you to work on some parts of his/her research project
- Someone invited you to joint research and a paper writing afterwards
- You applied for a scholarship abroad with other research project than your final PhD project
- You found some interesting volunteering opportunities
- Your Professor asked you to assist her/his courses
- You received financial grant for a summer school (10 days somewhere)
Topics of papers/ research / activities can be related with your PhD research but not necessarily.
Take a part or not take a part in the “side project”?
It is hard question to answer.